Here's an idea of how social media could help business - I don't know if this is available!
What about your company using LinkedIn behind your firewall. Think of the power. Here are some ways then you could use it
- Every person has a profile - a face for each person with their background and interests.
- Use LinkedIn Answers to search for solutions or ask questions to generate ideas.
- Networking tool to build your personal brand within the business.
- Measurement tool for appraisals - how LinkedIn are people, how strong are their relationships, how connected are they within the business?
- Recommendations. So people can give feedback on the internal customer service.
- Across countries or sites people could connect.
- An internal jobs and project board.
- A place for employees to add the skills that they are under utilising in their present role. For instance blogging skills.
- Search for people and skills that are needed for a project
- The building of a community of shared interest and shared identity.
Relationships and connecting people are vital in business. This could be a great tool in building this into the culture.