Marketing can be hard. Marketing will be hard if your business foundations are not in place.
Businesses need to be extremely clear about three questions
- Why are you in business? What made you start your business?
- What problem are you trying to solve or what pleasure are you wanting to deliver?
- Who is your target market?
When marketing is hard the answers become
- To make money. Not that this is not a worthwhile cause but this should be the outcome not the goal.
- To sell widgets. The product is the form not the function - what does your product/service deliver?
- Everyone. If you try and please everyone you will please no-one.
When marketing is seen as a way of spreading ideas rather than selling your wares then it also becomes easier. Easier because if you have the basis of 'why' from understanding your business, then marketing is a way of demonstrating, explaining and spreading your ideas to improve the life of your customer.
Marketing is a vehicle for ideas. If your marketing is hard, ask whether you are clear enough about the idea behind your products/services/business?
Marketing is not about YOU. It is how YOU demonstrate that it's about the customer. (Tweet this)
To help little Bob has put together this graphic for you to ask yourself, ask your team and even maybe for the bravest...your customers